Sunday, February 26, 2012

Trampers in Training

Kate, my roommate, and I are training to become lean, mean, tramping machines.

The Otago University Tramping Club caught our eyes when we scouted out campus student groups to join.  It seemed like the perfect way to see more of New Zealand: let someone else do the planning and we'll follow along.  For $30/year we'll get free gear for hire and access to the Paradise day trip (near the Routeburn Track) and a two-day trip to Fiorland near Milford Sound.

Yesterday, we decided to put our walking shoes on and head to Signal Hill.



When you come to a fork in the road...take it!


As is customary in New Zealand... it started getting overcast as the day went on...





 I'll make this next picture bigger for those who want to read it.  Basically, it says that the rock is a piece of the site where Edinburgh Castle is located.



There was a monument at the lookout and I was particularly intrigued by this guy...


I told Kate that is how I'll look when I'm done with my PhD: fat, hairy, and cradling my dissertation.

2 comments:

  1. Glad you have found someone to tramp with, and I love your closing photo and comment! sounds like you are getting acclimated to your new home, and I hope you never lose your sense of discovery.

    ReplyDelete
  2. glad you have found someone to tramp about with; hope you never lose your love of discovery. Great closing photo and comment, by the way!

    ReplyDelete