Sunday, May 6, 2012

Autumn in Aotearoa

The Mãori name for New Zealand is Aotearoa, "the land of the long white cloud.” 


Fiordland trip March 2012

Lately, it seems as though that long cloud has been bringing cold, wind, and rain with it!  But, on a nice day like today, there is plenty of sun and just enough of a breeze to watch leaves softly floating to the ground.






Yesterday, I volunteered at the Lovelock Relay races, an annual event held to honor Jack Lovelock.  Lovelock was from New Zealand and a gold medal winner in the 1936 Berlin Olympics.  

My job was helping Helen keep track of teams as they came across the finish line.  Hands down, the under 12 relay was the cutest event.  This little girl was on a team of other kids no older than 4 or 5.  



Last night, I attended a birthday party where everyone had to dress up as a famous person.  I tried dressing up as Lady Gaga, but only managed to pull off the hair. Sort of.



Still, it made for a fun evening!  There was a Katy Perry, Marilyn Monroe, Michael Jackson and even a Paper Bag Princess.  

It hasn't been all play, though.  I'm still working on a manuscript on the response rates to a mailed survey based on the type of incentive the women received.  I turned in a rough copy to my advisor, but I have some major work to do. Here's hoping I turn out something brilliant, or at least publishable, when it's done!

No comments:

Post a Comment