Thursday, June 28, 2012

A Birthday Abroad

My birthday was this week.  Besides my 10th birthday that I spent with the Girl Scouts in Arlington Cemetery I've spent each birthday with family and friends.  Recent birthdays have been celebrated with a nice dinner out and a slice of cake topped with a scoop of ice cream.  What would this year bring?

I made a reservation for one at Luna Bar & Restaurant in Roslyn.  For one you ask? Yes.

Months ago, I ran past Luna and admired the view of the harbor.  I suggested Luna as a pit stop on a girls night out, but others felt it was too far out of the way. Fair enough.  Since I was making plans for my birthday, though, I was going to do what I want even if it meant hiking up a long, steep hill in a nice dress and heels in the cold and wind all by myself.

I had to work at MInT on my birthday, so I hurried to finish things up and make it to Luna for my 6pm reservation.  Before I left, I double-checked directions to get to the restaurant.  Google maps told me it'd take 40 minutes to walk there.  It was already 5:40pm. Oops.  I decided I could make it on time if I hustled - the time estimates are for slow walkers anyway.

I definitely didn't make it on time.  I zigged when I should have zagged (not my fault, the roads aren't marked very well and so I missed a turn) and I underestimated how long and steep Stuart Street is.  I actually stopped partway up the hill to assess the situation: why on earth is this place so far away and why did I think it'd be a good idea to walk there and do I really want a glass of wine and piece of cake this bad?!  Needless to say, I looked rather disheveled when I arrived (I think I looked as if someone had been chasing me) and the kind bartender asked what I wanted to drink even before I found a place to park myself.

So, this was my idea of a sophisticated birthday, huh?

I ordered a glass of Mt. Difficulty Roaring Meg Pinot Noir and the chocolate pudding with a brownie and vanilla ice cream. Then I immediately spread out a bunch of research articles and started highlighting important looking parts to make it look like I was a pro at eating by myself in nice places.


I'm sure I could have asked other people to join me, but the walk to the restaurant was long and treacherous; I don't think people would be too pleased with me.  On top of that, it was a little pricey.  I spent $25.50 on my glass of vino and dessert.


Contrary to popular belief, I think I did enjoy this time by myself.  I wanted to treat myself to something nice for all that I've gone through recently.  The great views of Dunedin and the chocolatey goodness filled that need just fine.  Plus, I tucked this experience away with the other things that I've been nervous to do by myself, but did it anyway to prove to myself that I can.

I didn't stay too long.  I had a date with my friends at Abbey and New Girl.  Here's a picture from outside the restaurant: a vague idea of how beautiful the city is at night time:



My birthday adventure didn't stop there, but I know my mom reads my blog and so I don't want to worry her with my tale of...

...walking home by myself in the dark; cutting through paths that required me to keep hitting buttons on my cell phone so that I could see where I was walking; saying aloud how thankful I was that it was too cold for homeless people to come out and attack me in these unlit woody areas; bushbashing up a bank and falling in the process...

Only I could end up in situations like these.

And guess what? It was snowing!  Not enough to stick to the ground, but how many people who have a June birthday can say they saw snow on their birthday?!

Back at Abbey my wonderful friends had bubbly drinks to share.  It was a delight when the room full of people from all corners of the world started singing Happy Birthday to me.  I acted embarrassed, but I secretly loved every minute of it!

Next year is the big 3-0.  *gasp!* I do NOT plan on spending any second of my birthday by myself.  I want to go on an adventure, but not the kind that requires jumping off a bridge attached to a rubber band or hurtling through the air after jumping out of a plane.  If you have any ideas, please send them my way!

1 comment:

  1. You should have said something! My place is only two blocks away from Luna!!! Nice to hear you had a great time anyway, despite all the adventurous non-glamorous bits! Looking forward to a second celebration on a bit of a tramp! :)

    ReplyDelete