Thursday, February 23, 2012

Forget Cats & Dogs, It's Raining the Whole Damn Ark!

Hurricane Irene had nothing compared to the rain I saw this morning.  It was raining so hard that it woke me up!  To get to campus for 11am "tea" with other nutrition students, I bundled up in two layers of clothes, a scarf (thanks, Rita!), a long LL Bean raincoat (thanks, Mom!), a pair of butterfly adorned rain boots, and an umbrella.  A friend said that it was "normal" to have rain like that. Oh, God...

Meeting nutrition folks for tea was great! We sat down for about an hour and just chatted about reaching "milestones."  Each month, the group meets to decide on one goal (dissertation-related) to work on for the next month.  Today, the one's who achieved that goal received a certificate that one of the girls made up.  It sounds silly, but it makes the whole process of working towards a PhD fun. 

I like fun.  I do not like paying $3 for a teacup of coffee. 

Unfortunately, the place we met at on campus has the most "affordable" coffee around.  Luckily, I bought a small jar of instant coffee from the grocery store for a little more than $7; I have a feeling I'm going to be BYOC for these gatherings.

1 comment:

  1. Even with the NZ dollar being worth less than ours? Wow, posh! Kinda cool though. Swanky ;)

    ReplyDelete